Blog Archive

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Digital Distraction

I would say that my way of controlling digital distraction is by authority.  Being that I teach very young children, I feel like I am the one who needs to model and teach how to use the devices in the proper way.  I want my students to get the most educational time from the school day that is possible and we do not waste any time in my class.  It is my hope that the structure I provide in my classroom will continue on with the students as they progress through their years in school.

I do utilize some of the third level, self-control.  Especially when we get to the latter part of the school year I give my students more freedom in choosing their learning activities.  If they have extra time after finishing an assignment I will tell them to choose a learning activity.  They will often ask me if their choice is appropriate, and usually it is.  I also have some choices listed on my blog and on our school website.

I really don't think there are any "resources" that I would need to let my students have complete self-control.  Complete self-control is something that should come with more time and experience.

No comments: